Once configured via the management console, the backup agent is designed to run on its own.
The only operation that must be performed directly on the agent is its setup.
Once downloaded, install the agent on the target system. Only the credentials are required to install the backup agent.
- Account : account used for backup and restore operations. If it's a root account, just type it as it is. If it is a secondary account, enter its full name using the following form: rootAccount-childAccount
- Password : Your password. Make sur to keep it.
Installation can only start when your credentials has been validated and the dot is green. If it is displayed in red, your credentials are incorrect.
The agent update is automatic and relies on the Windows Task Scheduler.
To perform a manual update, there is two options:
- Manually run the scheduled task "Arx One updater"
- Launch the specifically provided backup agent's setup. If a backup agent is already installed on a machine, executing a new setup acts as a simple update, without entering credentials.
The installation on Linux is not interactive. In order to specify the account to use you can:
- Create a configuration file before installation
- Configure the account with the management console after installation
If you want to create a configuration file before installation (this step is optional, the account can be configured after setup from the console), here is how to proceed:
- Create a directory for the configuration files:
mkdir / usr / share / arxone
- Create an empty configuration file (account has to be replaced by the account name):
- Paste the content of the initial configuration into the created file (replacing password with the actual password):
<?xml version="1.0"?><Configuration xmlns:xsd="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" Password="password"/>
After the installation the password will be encrypted within the configuration file and will no longer be visible.
To proceed with the installation, enter the following command in your terminal:
wget -qO- get.arx.one/backup | bash
On the Linux platforms, the backup agent does not allow the account configuration during setup. To link a backup account to a Linux agent, please go to the below paragraph "How to link an account to a Linux or a Synology agent".
The backup agent updates are done with system updates:
apt-get update && apt-get upgrade
Synology Disk Station Environment
Here are the steps to follow to install Arx One Backup on your Synology NAS :
- Go to your Disk Station Manager interface
- Open the package center
- In the package center, go to settings :
- In the "General" tab, "Trust level" section selct Synology Inc. and trusted editors
- In the "Packet sources" tab, click on "Add" and then add the following address : packages.synocommunity.com
- In the "Packet sources" tab, click on "Add" and then add the following address : get.arx.one
- Apply the settings
- Go to the "Community", install the "Mono" package, which is required for Arx One Backup
- In the "Community" packet group and install Arx One Backup
On the Synology platform, the backup agent does not allow the account configuration during setup. To link a backup account to a Synology agent, please go to the below paragraph "How to link an account to a Linux or a Synology agent".
Updating the backup agent is done from the "update" section of the package center
How to link an account to a Linux or a Synology agent
To setup a backup account with a Linux / Synology agent, here is what you need to do :
- Make sure that the backup agent is properly installed and started on the target machine
- Launch the backup management console on a Windows machine
- Fill the Account field in the login dialog with the account name
- Fill the Password field in the login dialog with the account's password
- Fill the Computer field in the login dialog with target machine's IP address
- Click on the connection button
As shown below :
Be careful, this procedure can only be done once. Once the account has been linked to the target machine, you can only change the account by deleting or editing the configuration files.
You can use the console connection procedure for the next connections.
Before starting the installation, make sure that you have a backup account and that you comply with the technical requisites: